The campaign was a rousing success, with enough funds raised to pay for the development of some stunning new figures, accessories, and print materials, as well as launch Knuckleduster into 2018 with the ability to create cutting-edge wild west game gear.
As a result, we've been very busy at Knuckleduster headquarters. The manuscript is undergoing editing, the photos are taken, and a few last-minute illustrations are being rounded up for the rule book. The guys are planning, casting, and packing product--making lists, spinning tin, and inspecting every spur and hat brim.
Here are some of the essential things you need to know about this game system if this is the first time you've encountered it:
Gunfighter's Ball is a tabletop miniature wargame; each player controls between one and three characters represented by 28mm miniatures and wild west battles are conducted on a table full of model terrain, all of which is produced by Knuckleduster Miniatures in the Gunfighter's Ball product line.
If you're an old hand at wargaming, you'll be relieved to know that these rules incorporate time-honored rule mechanisms that should be very intuitive for you, and they're also easy for newcomers to learn. For instance:
- The turn sequence is controlled by poker cards; when your card comes up, it's your turn to go.
- You can perform two actions when your card comes up. The actions are very clearly defined.
- Movement is performed with dice to introduce an element of uncertainty.
- Fire is performed using percentile dice and a simple chart. There are options for opportunity fire/reactions that help get around the problem of attacks on static/helpless non-phasing characters that you often get in "I-Go-U-Go" systems.
- If a hit is scored, wounds are rolled-for using percentile dice and a chart, or "The Black Deck" is used as an alternative to charts.
- Health it tracked with poker chips. You begin the game with nine "lives" (health points). Each wound you take costs you between 1 and 6 chips (0 and "All Remaining" are also options for extreme results). The last three chips are red and represent the mortally-wounded level, in which you start taking massive penalties on the charts when you try to move or fight.
- There are rules for special abilities, animal combat, mounted movement, explosives, and other things you might expect. We've tried to give you the most complete options we can for an old west game.
- The scenario section includes an extensive discussion of HOW to write scenarios as well as providing examples of scenarios to get you started.
Download the simplified "Greenhorn" version via the link at the right and see what you think.
The Gunfighter's Ball miniature line was already extensive before the kickstarter, with over 50 gunfighting characters, and over 30 bystander packs. With the kickstarter, we've added over a dozen new characters, as well as numerous terrain items. The highlight of the project is the addition of more MDF building kits. This part of the product line will grow a lot during 2018. We've even got a photo-realistic game mat that's about to go off to the printer.
The experience of playing the game is enhanced by high quality game materials worthy of the quality of the figures and terrain. There will be several ancillary card decks that can be used to spice up the game (but are not necessary for play). Each character in our product line will have a large-format "tarot" sized card made from a glossy material that can be easily wiped off after notes are made with a dry-erase or transparency marker. The Black Deck can be used to deal out more specific wound results, and a special ability deck called the Pistoleer Deck can be used to add depth to your characters. Finally, the Death Dealer Deck gives the Judge an elegant and evocative way to deal up characters' turns.
The next phase of Gunfighters Ball is the fulfillment of the kickstarter backer kits. During this time, we (and our European stockist, Caliver Books) are still open for business, and the established part of the product line is available for purchase. Be sure to visit Knuckleduster's shopping cart and browse our selection of figures. We've even got mounted versions of the dismounted characters and things like longhorn cattle.
IF YOU MISSED THE KICKSTARTER
Not to worry--you can still pre-order items that were in the Kickstarter and receive them when the backer kits go out. Our kickstarter pre-order system is being administrated by backerkit.com. Go HERE to check out the pre-ordering information. You'll be able to buy everything except the exclusive figure (The Drifter). All the stretch goal items are in the Backerkit shopping cart for pre-order.
IF YOU ARE A RETAILER
If you are retailer in the US or Canada, contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org and we'll start talking turkey. I have two programs set up; one for brick-and-mortar retailers and one for established internet retailers that meet certain criteria.
If you are a retailer in the EU, you will be able to apply to our distributor in the UK, Caliver Books (www.caliverbooks.com).
IF YOU ARE A DISTRIBUTOR
We await your call with baited breath.
JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Please comment below or join us on facebook for more photos and news.